Question 5: The cricket coach explains that the follow through with the shot will make the ball travel a greater distance. Explain the reasoning in terms of impulse-momentum theorem.
The coach is right in his saying from scientific point of view.
فالوتروو کیا ہے؟
جب بال بیٹ کے ساتھ ٹچ ہو جاتا ہے توایک خاص اینگل پر نکلتا ہے۔ فالو ترو کا مطلب یہ ہے کہ آپ بال کو بیٹ کے ساتھ لگتے جلدی پیچھے نہ کریں، بلکہ بال کو اسی ہی ڈایریکشن میں بیٹ کے ذریعے پیچھے سے پش کریں
- Impulse is defined as the product of the average magnitude of force and time for which it applies. Mathematically,
- Momentum is defined as the product of mass and velocity of the object. Mathematically,
- The impulse-momentum theorem states that, the change in the momentum of an object is equal to the impulse that is applied to the object. If Δp is change in momentum, then
Now when the bat hits the ball, we observe
- Momentum of the ball changes. As mass of the ball is constant, the change must be due the change in velocity (direction or magnitude or both).
- From equation (iii), this change will be equal to the impulse on the ball. So, if the impulse is greater, change in momentum will also be greater. If change in momentum is greater the increase in velocity will also be greater. When the change in velocity is large, the ball covers larger distance.
- For a given average force exerted by the batsman on the ball, the impulse will be greater for greater Δt.
The net result is if the ball is pushed for larger time, the impulse will be greater. The greater impulse will produce more change in the momentum. Since the increase in momentum must be due to increase in the velocity of the ball, therefore, if the ball is followed through during the shot.
- We confidently say these are the best course material in the market.
- We provide after-sale free support to our students. Just send your question and the serial number given on the book and get answer through WhatsApp, website or YourTube.
Pingback:Conceptual Questions Forces and Motion, Physics 11 – msa